Planning a week break to The Algarve area of Portugal in the near future, this post is to put ideas all in one place to help planning. The Algarve, Portugal’s southernmost region, it is known for its Atlantic beaches and golf resorts.
Algarve Holiday Plan
The preliminary plan is to camp at an eco-friendly campsite near to Sagres at the western end of the Algarve. The final few nights are a stopover in a hotel in Faro, an overlooked city by all accounts.
Will be arriving and leaving via Faro airport so a night or 2 in the city is planed on the way back to the UK.
A small harbour town known for surf schools, impressive cliffs and beautiful beaches.
An ancient maritime city that today is as famous for its nice beaches as it is for its rich history.
A return visit to relive a childhood holiday, a town with a big marina and a sandy beach.
Local cuisine I would like to eat on my visit.
- Fresh fish.
Suggestions for days out and activities on this holiday.
- Water park to enjoy water slides.
- Monchique, to see and maybe hike in the mountains.
- Vineyard or olive grove visit.
- Boat party.
- Health spa pampering.
Diary and plans for my adventures in Portugal including cultural visits, beach holiday fun and some walking on Portugal’s coast and countryside. In the past have visited the Algarve for a beach holiday including to Vilamoura, Albufeira and a day trip to the Monchique mountains.
Portugal Bucket List
A list of places and activities for my future visits.
- Sea Fishing – With either a rod or hired harpoon and catch dinner.
- Camp – Camping in a tent on a walking break.
- Faro Cathedral.
- Ria Formosa – A designated Natural Park on a system of barrier islands.
- Cidade Velha in old town.
- Arco da Vila – A waterside gateway on the city wall.
- Municipal Museum – Historical convent-turned-museum featuring permanent & temporary archaeological exhibitions.
- A do Pinto – A local seafood restaurant wit good rankings.
There are options to get to the Algarve for a shorter break a flight direct into Faro Airport would be ideal. But on the cards is on the train using Interrail similar to our last adventure